Welcome to 2016! We have begun a year of unlimited possibility and potential. What goals have you set for yourself? Are they work-related? Personal? Spiritual? Lifestyle? What are your health and wellness New Year’s resolutions? Have you made any goals for 2016?
Sadly, more than 50% of people who make New Year’s resolutions have abandoned them six months later. 25% of those people quit after the first week! Only 8% of Americans who make New Year’s Resolutions actually keep them.
Why does this happen? Evidence shows that people who set unrealistic goals (ie: setting goals that are too stringent) revert back to the behavior they sought to avoid and eventually give up. For example, someone wanting to lose weight that sets the goal of consuming only 500 calories a day is likely to binge on unhealthy foods, because 500 calories daily is not sustainable for the average adult. Eventually he/she will most likely quit the diet out of the frustration that comes from following a failed plan. “Maybe I’ll have better luck next year,” she/he will concede.
How do we become one of the 8% that sticks with their New Year’s resolutions? I believe that we can set ourselves up for success by first looking at our emotional blocks, and then setting goals that are sustainable. For example, since one of my goals of 2016 is to increase my fitness level, I am currently evaluating the ways that not changing my patterns of activity is serving me. And I am continuing to walk each day.
Psychologist Dr. Paul Marciano shares some of his tips for successfully reaching your goals:
- Make SMART goals: ie those that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relative and Time-bound
- Track your Progress – it is motivating!
- Have patience – progress is never linear.
- Allot time on your calendar – i.e. work-outs, cleaning, meditating etc. should be scheduled
- Something is better than nothing – i.e., if you don’t have time for 60 minutes of activity but you do for 30 minutes, do 30!
- Be persistent – never give up!!!
We (the practitioners of Calypso) are dedicated to helping you achieve your health goals this year and beyond. Call us so we can help set you up for success. Additionally, stay on the lookout for our upcoming group cleanse classes. Since we are dedicated to helping YOU, these classes will address the physical, emotional & spiritual aspects of cleansing: safely and sustainably.
Wishing you health,wellness, peace, and prosperity in 2016 & beyond!
- January 4, 2016, Forbes Leadership, Madan Pillutla, “Why We Could Be Happier And Healthier if We Scrapped New Year Resolutions”
- January 3, 2016, Forbes Leadership, Kevin Kruse, “A Psychologist’s Secrets To Making New Year’s Resolutions Stick”